Accession records indicate that this 16mm film came into the Museum’s collection in the 1970’s during Dr. William Burns’ tenure as museum director. The film was donated by John Jebailey of Florence. Although we don’t know the specific details regarding the film’s origin, museum curatorial staff did learn that it was regularly shown at the old Colonial Theatre (located at 125 W. Evans St in what used to be the old City Hall building). The film highlights over 50 businesses, schools, & organizations in Florence during the year 1935. It is likely that each business paid a substantial fee to be featured in the film.
These fees were probably in turn used to help pay production costs. Regardless of the production’s original intent, the film now provides us with an interesting and rare technological glimpse into our town’s history during the early 20th century.